PE is an important subject area and we work hard to ensure we offer a high-quality physical education that inspires all pupils to succeed and excel in competitive sport and other physically-demanding activities. We provide opportunities for pupils to become physically confident in a way which supports their health and fitness.
Across the school children have opportunities to compete in sport and other activities that build character and help to embed values such as fairness and respect.
Our long term plan outlines what area of PE pupils will be learning each half term. Physical Education Long Term Plan 2022-2023 for website
Within physical education at Whitehouse Common, we aim to ensure that all pupils:
- develop competence to excel in a broad range of physical activities
- are physically active for sustained periods of time
- engage in competitive sports and activities
- lead healthy, active lives.
- master basic movements including running, jumping, throwing and catching, as well as
- developing balance, agility and co-ordination, and begin to apply these in a range of activities
- participate in team games, developing simple tactics for attacking and defending
- perform dances using simple movement patterns.
- use running, jumping, throwing and catching in isolation and in combination
- play competitive games, modified where appropriate [for example, badminton, basketball, cricket, football, hockey, netball, rounders and tennis], and apply basic principles suitable for attacking and defending
- develop flexibility, strength, technique, control and balance [for example, through athletics and gymnastics]
- perform dances using a range of movement patterns
- take part in outdoor and adventurous activity challenges both individually and within a team
- compare their performances with previous ones and demonstrate improvement to achieve their personal best.
By the end of each key stage, pupils are expected to know, apply and understand the matters, skills and processes specified in the relevant programme of study.
We utilise the expertise of coaches from Progressive Sports and work in partnership with them to deliver a high-quality PE curriculum. More information about this company can be found on their website: Home – Progressive Sports – Derbyshire & Nottingham (progressive-sports.co.uk)
We use some of the Sports Premium Grant (SPG) to support this provision. Our SPG can be viewed under the Information section of our website.